Monday, February 15, 2010

Lessons learned from Genesis

I have been failing miserably at posting updates of my journey through the Bible this year. For you, my devoted readers, I am sorry...I know you are missing my take on the genealogy chapters--what to do with all the crazy Hebrew names!! While I'm still reading, life has been going non-stop so I haven't been able to put much thought into my posts. But hey, this morning I have a few minutes to quickly list the lessons I learned in the book of Genesis.

1. God is sovereign and can do whatever He wants with whomever He wants.

2. When you go into Egypt as a migrant, don't lie about the pretty lady standing next to you-especially if she's your wife. Perhaps that whole episode could have been avoided with a nice fatty diamond ring.

3. There is a difference between walking through life and walking through life with God. Anyone can stumble along the way according to his or her own plan and understanding (we've all done it). But it takes focus, energy, and discipline to live a life seeking after God and HIS plan, HIS understanding. Can I get an Amen? Cross-reference Proverbs 19.21 "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails."

4. You ARE influencing those around you. It isn't a question of IF, but HOW. My hubby just read in Proverbs 20.11 that "even a child is known by his actions, by whether his conduct is pure and right." Be careful little mouth what you say. Be careful little hands what you do. And be careful little feet where you go.

5. Don't pick on your youngest sibling...it can really backfire. Ask any of Joseph's brothers.

And....the last one is compliments of Christie....thanks for your bit of wisdom.
6. Manipulation, even in its finest, fails when Gods plan is being carried out. Amen.

2 comments:

Christie Lehren said...

Love your lessons learned. Genesis is packed yet often overlooked. Its easily in my top five of fav books.

6. Manipulation, even in its finest, fails when Gods plan is being carried out. Amen.

those mitchells said...

Thanks for the support friend! I am adding your wise addition to the list. :)