Monday, August 18, 2008

Road Trip Day 5

Day 5
We left Dallas Sunday morning to head to Albuquerque, New Mexico. We were warned that the drive through the rest of Texas was horrible.....and indeed it was. I am sure that there are comparable drives, but Texas might be the most boring state to drive through. There is nothing in sight but flat land and oil rigs. Seriously.....I would have never imagined that there is that much vacant land in the U.S.--no need to worry about it getting to crowded here. Things got better when we crossed into New Mexico. We got to see some beautiful plateaus and other landscapes. We have had some pretty funny moments because both Patrick and I only know about this environment from what we have seen in movies and in our textbooks in school. We would see a huge figure and I would ask "Is THAT a plateau?" Patrick would respond, " I guess" and then I would say, "I always thought plateaus were _____." This would follow an entire conversation about our misconceptions about plateaus or whatever it is we are talking about. I can't count how many times I asked, "Are we in the desert now?" It was hard to tell because everything I know of deserts is from TV and all of the deserts on TV include sand, so we still don't know if we have passed through a desert because there hasn't technically been sand involved. We got to Albuquerque Sunday night and ate at the Standard Diner, a local favorite. The food was awesome and the environment was really fun. We can officially no longer order sweet tea at restaurants. I was surprised that we could still get it in Texas, but there is no hope for it in New Mexico.

No comments: