Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Invisible Children

I have not historically been one that gets passionate about social justice issues. If I were being totally honest, I would have to tell you that I intentionally tried to stay as ignorant as possible about such matters. I have always found these issues easier to talk about than to apply to my own life. I can talk all day about the reasons why using child slaves to work the cocoa bean farms is wrong....but it is difficult to turn down a snickers bar or chocolate cake, even knowing that it isn't trade-free. Recently, however, I have found myself unable to escape the 'nagging' presence of the Holy Spirit that tells me I have to do something with said knowledge. So I prayed and waited, until The Invisible Children brought me to my knees. I am aware that there are numerous social justice issues that you can be involved in....but this is it for me. The Invisible Children have got me.

No comments: