Friday, June 25, 2010

Road Trip to STL: Days 4-5

We are a few states and a couple days closer to St. Louis. Here's a recap of what we've done the last 48 hours....

Day 4: We left New Mexico around 8am for our 9 hour drive to Denver. The first 4 hours were tough. There were little to no stops for gas or food-thank God for Las Vegas, New Mexico...the only sign of life until Colorado-and the desert was a tad repetitive. Once we reached Colorado, however, we were wide-eyed because we didn't want to miss one thing. Colorado might be the most beautiful state I've ever seen. I love it! The Rocky Mountains were on one side and rolling, green hills were on the other. We hit pockets of traffic in Colorado Springs and coming into Denver, but we got to the hotel just in time to leave for the Rockies vs. Red Sox game.

The craziest thing happened at the game. I was on a mission to find frozen yogurt and made a short stop at the ladies room. As I walked out, I recognized a familiar face....the husband of the older sister of one of my best buds I from Georgia. I know, it can get confusing. One of my best buds, Kathryn, has an older sister, Becky, who lives in Colorado Springs with her husband and adorable daughter. Patrick and I talked about Becky and Randy that day as we were stuck in traffic in Colorado Springs-little did we know that we would run into them that night in Denver. :)

The game was a blast. We were cheering for Boston, just because we think Boston is probably a cool city and my husband has always loved the Red Sox. If you saw the game on TV, you know what a great game it was. It went back and forth each inning, but the Sox took the victory. :)










Day 5: We slept in today. :) I know, you probably don't care about that detail, but it was long overdue and worth mentioning. After taking our time to eat breakfast and get ready, we drove into downtown Denver (aka Lodo-Lower Downtown) to visit the Tattered Cover Bookstore. It way outdoes Barnes and Noble. It is THE definition of what a bookstore should be. We met a lady on the way in who used to work there in the 1940s. They have old chairs, leather couches and desk, a coffee and sandwich shop, and an old library feel.

After sharing a muffin and coffee over some magazines, we went to a pub for lunch and walked around 16th Street mall to do a little shopping. We spent the afternoon at a park with Bailey and then went back to the hotel for movies in bed. :)










3 comments:

Lauren Dorman said...

Luke and I never leave to go anywhere without a full tank of gas. There really are not a lot of places to stop in this state. Looks like the trip is going great!

Mrs. E said...

Colorado is my favorite state - love it and miss it especially during the summer. Looks like you're having fun along the way!

Kate G. said...

You made me miss Colorado! I love it there in the summer...