Monday, January 11, 2010

The Power of Influence

So, I'm still reading Genesis for any of you that would like to join me on my journey through scripture this year. It is never too late. :)

I heard someone once say that God gave women the power of influence, particularly over men...most specifically their husbands. It starts when we are young and know exactly what we need to do to get Daddy to cave in and continues into adulthood when we want to blow the budget on a purse or a new pair of shoes.

Although I am just in the first book of the Bible, I have already read about two women who influenced their husbands and changed history. Eve is the first to bite the fruit and then she gives it to Adam. Next thing you know....fall of man and humankind as we know it....or as they knew it, rather. Less than 20 chapters later, Sarai (later called Sarah), in spite of God's promises, faithlessly suggests her husband sleep with her servant in order to bare a child. Result?

My first instinct is to blame the man. What is it with passive men? Where are the leaders here? Where is the man who will stand up to these crazy women?! But then I see the lesson to be learned is how easy it can be to influence the men who love us and what a large responsibility that is. I can think of so many ways I influence my husband with just a simple comment or short conversation. It isn't a question of IF I am influencing him...it's a question of HOW I am influencing.

2 comments:

Harrison and Lindsay said...

I love that you are reading through the Bible. I am about to be done with my devotional and may join you (a few days late/behind). I love reading these, so keep it up!!! Are you using a "One year Bible" or just a reading plan?

those mitchells said...

Hey! Thanks for stopping by! I would love for you to join me. If you click on the link "my journey" in the blog post, it will take you to the post with the link for the reading schedule. I am using a schedule by the Discipleship Journal. :)