Saturday, January 10, 2009

This Momentary Marriage

As fast as you can, go to this website and order this book by John Piper. READ IT. Patrick and I just started reading and discussing this book together and it has forever changed the way I view our relationship. Piper writes specifically about marriage as a momentary gift and about the infinite greatness of it's meaning. I have always recognized the difference between the world's view of marriage, and my own, as a Christian. I have never, however, recognized the chasm between my own conception and the Biblical view. Buy it. Read it. Live it.


"....how much more will the magnificence of marriage in the mind of God seem unintelligible in a modern Western culture, where the main idol is self; and its main doctrine is autonomy; and its central act of worship is being entertained; and its three main shrines are the television, the Internet, and the cinema; and its most sacred genuflection is the uninhibited act of sexual intercourse."
This Momentary Marriage, p. 20

No comments: